Re: Mastery Jumps

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 09:08:03 -0800

Stephen

> If we are to take Masteries as significant
> punctuation marks within the world then they should be marked in some
> way. If this is to represent the stories (such as Arkat) then there
> is some stepwise improvement.
>
> What about making all masteries subject to some quest or test.
> Obviously the first mastery test might not seem all that difficult
> (gather feathers of the Thunder Bird nesting at the top of yonder
> rise) but a W2 test might be difficult, requiring some kind of
> Heroquest and it should just get harder as time goes on.

While I believe that Masteries should be more significant than 1st Edition makes them, I don't think there needs to be any impediment in the way of characters earning them. This sort of thing sounds awkward in play, given that you may have several players wanting to add a mastery to a skill in any session. It also means the Narrator has to come up with a lot of quests/tests which are in fact of little dramatic significance.

Then, I don't see Mastery as a jump, just an impressive level of ability (like 90% in RuneQuest).

--

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com