Re: Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:23:04 +0200

Hmmmmm ... Is David sending private copies of his hw-rules postings to _everyone_ , or is it just me ??

Agh !! What a time-waster !!

David :

> The logarithmic design of HQ just means it makes even less
> sense - in theory, it means each additional augment is actually MORE
> powerful than the one before.

Been there.

Done that.

But no T-shirt ... :-(

> Its all the 'its not a problem' non-solutions that bother me.
> All the solutions do more or less fix it. Even if all you are saying
> is 'as narrator I would never let them do that', thats a tacit
> admission that there is a problem.

Nonsense. HQ is a story-telling system.

> Unfortunately, its all about the logarithms.

NO.

The _only_ problem with HW logarithmy is in its depiction of mundane reality.

> Fah.

Fah 2.

> I think the magical augmentation is the anti-thesis of
> Gloranthan realism - all the big hero contests I've ever read come
> down to far more interesting things than 5 rounds of ambush!

Is this the "Ambushing : pro et con" thread ?

> No, it really is how you get there. The number of wibbles in
> your game makes almost difference most of the time (sssh, don't tell
> the powergamers), but how you arrive at that number of wibbles IS
> your narrative.

YES, this is a story-telling thingamajig, & NOT a roolz problem.

> >And there's something similar in Harmast's Saga AFAIK/IIRC
> >
> >Not to mention David vs Goliath ...
>
> Again, you have the bible with the expurgated parts about the
> multiple augments?

No David, David had hefty Augmentations from God, his Virtue, Support from the Nation of Israel, Favourable Terrain, & his Hate Evil, Courage, and Righteousness Affinities. And if that ain't in your Bible, I'm beginning to wonder about your choice of reading material ...

> Lets go back to HW rule number 1 - for purposes of
> comparison, the ability level is what matters, not what its called,
> which is narrative.

HW rule number 1 is : Go With The Story, not this nonsense about "ability level" somehow being equal to "narrative".

Not to mention HW rule number 0, inherited from D&D, which says : The DM/GM/Narrator/MoL&D is Master of All Things.

Julian