I forget the subject line, but, Edwards-style AP-lending.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 23:00:13 +0100 (BST)

Nic Hughes:

> To some extent yes, if anyone has suitable magic to lend you AP then
> they can do so. Or someone could call on divine aid. Or something
> could happen somehow - never underestimate the inventiveness of
> players. Its more of an issue with the lesser losing positions -
> does -5 mean anything if by the end of the whole contest you made it
> back up to +10?

I keep forgetting to get a rulebook and a computer in the same place, so pardon me hand-waving a little about what the current Actual Rules are. But I'd be skeptical about being so fast and loose with this as to result in a situation where there was an artificial difference between "the contest has ended, take your lumps", and "the contest is on-going, who knows?" Particularly if there's any ambiguity about how many "sides" in the contest are present; or who is "in" the contest, and who is not. Especially if it in any way encouraged complacency about the fate of a participant. ("Well, Bjetis is -39AP, but his opponent didn't bother with a coup de grace, so he's OK for the moment. Let's wait until we turn the contest around, and then lend him 40 when we have them to spare.")

> I think we are making this out to be a bigger difference than it
> usually is - the difference between a player immediately saying "I
> leap in and save him" and one who patiently waits his turn to say "I
> do something to save him".

I take that point, and I would largely agree with it. And as I also mentioned, I'd be somewhat indulgent about characters "expending" APs to take extra (unrelated) actions, if it seems reasonable.

Cheers,
Alex.