Re: HP bumps.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 14:47:21 +0100 (BST)

Tim:

> > If one has a chat-high, roll-low type of game, and all are happy with
> > that, isn't it more sensible to change the balance between bumps and
> > ability increases, rather than changing your playing style to suit
> > a mechanic that's intended to support it?
> >

> Almost certainly, providing your players are not the kind to get upset
> if you start charging them more than what it says in "the rules". Nor
> was I really suggesting you should change your entire style of play
> wholesale and permenantly to fit in with some sort of mythical
> "correct" way of playing. It's more a case of every now and again
> everyone has one of those days /weeks where absolutely nothing goes to
> plan and everything starts happenign all at once - once the "crisis"
> is over (and the Players HP are suitably reduced) you can pick up your
> old pace again and see if it has changed their HP-Spend tactics.

I've taken liberties with the rules bigger than that, that in the context of this list I might blush to admit. (I think it's fair to say that to judge from favoured books to flip though in those "I'll amuse myself while the Yinkini spends the next half hour Making Mischief" moments, they're not all that wedded to their "crunchy bits". (Which apparently HW doesn't have (m)any of, anyway, sez Robin...))

One thought that occurs to me is that is something that has, in a sense, alreday been "tweaked" as regards bump-ups, from "ur-HWs". Doesn't the more stretched ability scale, and the accordingly faster rate you get HPs make in effect it "easier" to spend them to get bumped, while also making them individually less decisive in a way?

Cheers,
Alex.