HP bumps.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 01:23:16 +0100 (BST)

Ian Cooper:
> We always narrate hero points expenditure, to explain
> how the character 'beat the odds'.

This isn't a bad idea. I've been toying with making HP (for bump-up) purposes in some way inherently "flavoured", in some fashion I can't quite properly articulate. (Something along the lines of linking them to something similar to "storytelling" cards, say...) But I want to do so in a way that encourages creative additions to the narrative, rather than just being annoyingly restrictive, that's my main concern.

> ALternatively remember that significant Narrator
> characters can have hero points. Their main use is to
> allow you as narrator to likewise say, this outcome is
> too important to a good story to just be in the hands
> of fortune. Of course you have to narrate their lucky
> escape too.

I personally feel this is a suspect notion altogether... If the purpose of (PC) HPs is to give them overt narrative input, then what purpose does NPC HPs serve, given that the Narrator is, well, narrating anyway? My fear is that this could degenerate into "to thwart player use of HPs", or "to equalise the HP wargame".

Or maybe it's because when I want to cheat or fudge, I feel I might as well do it wholesale, rather than just the odd bump here or there. ;-)