Modelling EC consequences

From: jamesjhawkins <James.Hawkins_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 15:51:42 -0000

Hello,

Conversation about archery reminded me of the following. The link between the two may become a little more clear at the end of this mail.....

Here's an outline of a mechanic I ran recently when the PCs (all Uz) were in a walktapus eating competition:

Basically it ran as an Extended Contest with the PCs and the walktapus carcass as the contestants. PCs had target numbers and APs according to what ability they used first. The carcass had a resistance to being eaten for its target number, 100AP to represent its bulk, but didn't get to act. PCs acted in AP order round by round as normal.

When a PC acted against the carcass and caused it to lose APs, then these were accumulated in an Eaten ability for that PC.

If a PC ran out of APs then they couldn't eat any more. When the carcass ran out of APs it was all gone and the competition was over.

Once the competition was over, the PCs all rolled their Eaten ability in a Simple Contest to determine who was seen as the winner of the eating competition.

It strikes me that the Archer Problem could be solved by using a similar mechanic, in which the consequences of the competition are separated from end of the competition itself.

Has anybody out there run a mechanic where AP forfeits (or bids or whatever) were accumulated over the course of the extended contest, then used afterwards?

sjjh