Re: Re: Hw rules for modern firearms

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:21:35 +0200

Benedict :

> If it ain't broken, don't fix it. A recurring theme on this list is
> people trying to change the HW rules to make them more 'realistic'.

FWIW, my own attempt to do this is at :

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/runelord/runelord/runelord.htm

(to be updated in a day or two)

Modern firearms are dead easy in my own version of the rules ... ;-)

> Trying to alter the HW rules to make them 'more realistic' is like
> trying to alter a piano to be like a harpsichord: it completely misses
> the point. You would do better to learn to appreciate the piano for
> its particular qualities, or find yourself a harpsichord.

OTOH I am in some agreement with this sentiment. Rules add-ons are a LOT harder to get right for HW/HQ than for other games, and I've found that you simply can't change any of the core concepts of the game unless you also change the game in its entirety : easily said, but we're talking about a Robin Laws game design here : the rules systems of HW/HQ are so finely balanced that any such core changes require a complete overhaul : basically, dismantle.the piano, purchase some extra bits and pieces, build yourself a harpsichord. Non- maths-geeks/rulesgeeks /games-theory-geeks beware !

Julian Lord