Re: Affinity and Mythology (was A thought on limiting improvisation)

From: Peter Larsen <peterl_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:45:57 -0500

At 3:35 PM +0000 7/18/02, simon_hibbs2 wrote:
>I havn't been following this thread very closely, but it
>seems to me that it should normaly be possible to augment
>any use of an affinity with an appropriate Mythology ability.
>
>I don't like the ide a requiring a success in one ability to
>allow the use of another ability. However why couldn't a
>character attempting a feat use their mythology ability to
>augment? Whether or not the feat was being improvised or
>not shouldn't be particularly relevent, IMHO.
>
>I don't think HW allws characetrs to augment an ability that's
>being used to augment a third ability, so this use of Mythology
>would only be usable to augment feats, but that's fine so far
>as I'm concerned.

        It could slow things down a little, but how about automatically augmenting the Affinity with Mythology for Improvisation. You have Movement 2W, Mythology of Orlanth Adventurous 10W, and you want to use the feat Run Up Cliff. The Narrator assigns a -10 Improvisation penalty, so you are at 2W-10+3 for a 15 vs the cliff's 14. If you wanted to augment your Climb Cliff ability with Movement, you wouldn't get the Mythology bonus, but you wouldn't have the penalty, either. (Instead of saying "I will Run Up this Cliff as Orlanth Ran Up the Cliffs of Woe when he found the Brass Cow," you pray "Help me get up this cliff in one piece, Oh Orlanth.") A devotee wouldn't use this as much, but then they don't suffer as many Improvisation Penalties having a more direct line to the god's powers.

Peter Larsen