Re: Worldscale again and again

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 01:50:59 EDT

Dear group!

I tried another attempt for a table.This time i researched the internet for speed and mass of animals(using the zoo-website of hannover as my primary source).
Having all the animals in order of their abilities and on one glance, helps a bit.Next step, i tried to find thresholds, that relate to the masterymeaning.The worldrecord for sprinting is somewhat about 9m/sec, roughly 30km/h-so i decided that to be 5W3 (higher rating possible). The same with the mass of 150kg, from a human point of view, thatīs a "master-eater", thus assigning a rating of 15W2.... I tried to figure an elephants mass from the following scenario:it tramples someone(a human, etc.) down, Trample12 vs. a plain resistance of 6. Letīs say itīs a success vs. a success- looser forfeits x1. Letīs say the elephant uses his default of 3AP-so the poor guy looses 6AP.I imagine, that after being trampled down by an elephant,you are very hurt(if not dead...)- a major victory(thus -21-30AP), so there should be an edge of, maybe 25.
Using the rule that an automatic success gives a bonus/edge of +1/+2 for every ten points ability, the mass of the creature should then be: 125 or 5W6. W6 relates to a rating of"mythical".Surely something like an elephant was regarded as mythical, for a very long time in europe. (120=laymen,W=trained,W2=master,W3=expert,W4=legendary,W5magical, W6=mythical,W8=divine(my interpretation of masterylevels, derived from the resistance table)).

I have to say, that im very unsure about my results and i see, that maybe, i used too much, the meaning of masteries, and too less the gamemechanics of bumping as a guideline(like Wulf arguments).But this really gives me headaches, its so difficult making up these numbers, maybe what Greg said is very true, that it all relates to the story, only, and that itīs a characteristic of HW, that it seems, you canīt make up too definite numbers.Because ratings depend on what you want to compare with what....?If the scale is human, it makes quite sense to say sprinting 30kmh equals a rating 5W3+, because if itīs not, you can beat horses easily in a race.....

This is my new table:

Sprint(km/h):

12-Mouse-Sprint5
20-Pig-Sprint10
24-Reindeer-Sprint15
30-Whale,Human-Sprint5W3
40-Elephant-Sprint15W3
48-Emu,Orang Utang,Hippo-Sprint18W3
50-Dromedary,Giraffe,Bison,Rhino,Brownbear-Sprint19W3
60-Zebra,Gazelle,Wolf-Sprint5W4
65-Icebear,Ostrich-Sprint10W4
70-Horse-Sprint18W4
75-Lion-Sprint18W4
80-Kangaroo,Antelope-Sprint19W4

114-Cheetah-Sprint5W5

Large/Mass(kg):

65-Cheetah,Lepard-Small2
70-Kangaroo,Chimpanzee-Small1
75-Human-no Rating
155-Lama,Ostrich    -Large15W2
210-Gorilla-Large 18W2
260-Lion-Large5W3
280-Tiger-Large6W3
315-Zebra   -Large10W3
500-Cattle-Large2W4

780-Brownbear-Large15W4
800-Bison-Large15W4
1000-Camel,Icebear-Large18W4
1930-Giraffe-Large5W5
2000-Rhino-Large5W5
3200-Hippopotamus-Large7W5
5000-Elephant-Large5W6

13500-Whale-Large5W8(?)

Christian

P.S.: Wulf!The strength-rating for a true dragon is 5W6 and size is 18W7.And this creature is supposed to be 15000 ft.=4.5km....... And i donīt think that giving a giant 130 Ap is much-he is gigantic and should be difficult to defeat.The same with always achieving a critical versus anyone who has less than three masteries.Where this fist lands, there shall be no more grass,right.....