Guarding vrs Slaughtering [was: Re: Last actions as played]

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 10:20:43 -0000

Yes, it is one of those cases where I'm afraid I think the rules were over-proscriptive and made a special case for no real purpose. The basic rule should be applicable to any ability that might completely disable an opponent and the consequences of that would depend on the nature of the ability;

So an action using Hogtie Opponent may be resisted by the fallen opponent and if the resistance failed the opponent is hogtied and beyond any possible FA.

An action of Petrify with Fear similarly could be resisted by if the resistance failed would petrify the opponent beyond FA.

An action of Close Combat (Greatsword) could be resisted and if the resistance failed the opponent would be dead.

Or if you don't want to bother (and take the risk involved in getting involved with fallen foes) just assign someone to keep an eye on them - no ability rolls required and no resistance possible. If you assign a follower personally I'd apply the AP cost for an unrelated action (Keep Eye On Prisoners) each turn until the end of the conflict. If necessary assume the usual multiple target penalties for multiple prisoners, so followers with applicable abilities could guard more prisoners before one of them faced a 0 ability and hence not be adequately guarded.

All of which are really just examples of how to apply unrelated actions to the situation, IMNSHO CdG never needed to be a separate rule.

--
Nic