HeroQuest Rules

From: Jimmie Pursell <jimmie.pursell_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:14:51 -0700

Hi all!

I hope I'm not breaching protocol by popping onto the list to ask a question in a vacuum, but I can't seem to figure this out from the Issaries website and wondered if anyone knows the answer.

I'm wondering if the rules have gotten any more crunchy since the initial Hero Wars release. As I recall, the rules seemed to make for interesting character creation, but were very light on actual rules. As I recall, most of the skills/feats/abilities were not defined and combat was more of a mathematical exercise than a dramatic resolution system (I was particularly miffed at the lower roll winning in the case of equal levels of success (for reasons that were well hashed out at the time)). In short, are there any major rules overhauls in any of the recent products? More importantly, are there any overhauls that anyone is aware of in the second edition (HeroQuest)?

I'd also like to say that I understand that rules lite gaming is not something inherently bad, but I tend to make up characters and solo-game combat encounters, etc. much more than I actually get to play. Thus, for me, crunchy systems provide more entertainment than rules lite systems. Therefore, I'm really trying to decide if any of the new stuff is going to suit my needs. I'm not throwing off on rules lite systems in general or HW in particular. Thanks!