Re: 'Simulationist' Wound/Combat system for HW?

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 01:23:48 -0000

Not quite...

> Maybe if we actually had RULES (perish the Simulationist
> thought) for the time or actions needed it might make things more
> dangerous.

HW:RiG p 155 "In a complete victory, the hurts are healed completely in a few minutes, in any other victory they are heaked in an hour or so. [...] Each hurt may be affected by only one first aid attempt."

So if a character takes 5 hurts, and tries to heal themselves with their First Aid 1W then, per the rules, they need to make an Ability test with a penalty of -5, and they are at -5 due to the hurts, giving them a total of -10 (another character using First Aid will be at -5, assuming they are uninjured).

On a Complete Success (a roll of 1) then one hurt dissapears - Now you can move on to the next one (at -8 if you are working on yourself, or -4 if someone else is treating you). On any other success, it will still take an hour or so before the penalty is lost, so the next first aid roll is still at the same TN. On a failure that Hurt can only be healed naturally (resting for a day or so), and on a complete failure (roll of 20) you will add one hurt (Although the rules don't say so, I would not allow you to try and use first aid to reduce this penalty) - so unless you roll a lot of 1's (or burn a lot of HP) then you are still going to be taking penalties for about an hour or so ...

Of course, magical healing is slightly different since it "is generally instantaneous" (ibid). You are still limited to one attempt per hurt though, so one or two can always slip through the net...

One could, additionally, rule that since Magical Healing is, well, magical that an opposed roll is called for, vs the standard world resistance of 14, +1 per hurt - that gives the resistance of a character with 5 hurts a score of 19. Casting your "Minor Magical Healing 1W" with 5 Hurts gives you a score of 16 - which gives you a 46.75% chance of some sort of victory. Having someone else cast it is 1W vs 19 pushes you up to 47.75%, but more importantly, stops you from getting a Complete defeat.

The Narrator can always threaten the party with the possibility of being attacked again while they are taking the time to heal characters, even without a hard and fast ruling as to how long each action takes.

And if the character has a follower along to do the healing, you can always make them a target for the wounds if they are in a position to be exposed to danger (like contributing to the hero's AP's - Hmm I feel another question coming on here...

> As it is, if you don't kill 'em, they get up, dust
> themselves off, and walk on...

Unless it is dramatically innapropriate for them to do so!