Re: Re: Improvise or Die

From: stefan.drawert_at_...
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:34:09 +0100

Hi Ian,

Mittwoch, 27. November 2002, 15:40, schriebst du:

 Wulf Corbett wrote:

>>Combined with the advice given in Sorcerer and it's
>> suppliments, I think my style of refereeing (and my expectations as
>> a player) have changed radically recently.

Ian Cooper added
> Hero Wars certainly opened my eyes to these types of game, and they
> in turn opened my eyes to what Hero Wars was trying to do. There are
> new ideas out there, but the overall industry does seem to be
> suffering from resistance to trying them.

don't forget that one needs dedicated players to actually make any use of what makes HeroWars and similar games so special. call me a 'loser', but it seems my second game in line is about to crash because my players don't get 'it'.

maybe it's me, maybe it's them, but it's always 'new-style' [me] vs. 'old-school'[them], and after a while it seems we don't get together anymore.

it's a shame, but the only possible solution would be to go back to a RuneQuest-style of play, in which case the HW-rules wouldn't be necessary anymore or even worse, won't work.

recently I experienced the same when we tried to have a short excursion to 'Donjon' - funny one-session chaos, allright. but my players [the same as above] still didn't do justice to what the game is all about - player participation and imagination.
[I might add that,while the game reads to be a lot of fun, it isn't running smoothly enough, too many rules for this type of game, at least IMHO]

is there anybody else with similar problems?

--
Music has the right to children,

 Stefan

27.11.2002