Re: Improvise or Die

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 16:38:55 -0000

Wulf Corbett wrote:
> It might help if you took a session to talk to each player in turn
> and pin down exactly what they wanted for their character. Give
> them all a goal, a heroic vision. Then promise them they'll get it.

Sorcerer's kickers are an interesting experiment -ask the players to come up with a crisis that their character has to deal with that furthers our understanding of the character when it is resolved (and you could tie hero point awards to the resolution). However from experience of tyring it even the most enthusiastic players can sometimes be stumped for a kicker, sometimes folks are just too tired from a day at work, so for my part I don't want to dump throwing events based on a plot at the players. But just because you have a plot does not mean you cannot adapt to the players actions to cocreate  story. Linear adventures do have some things going for them provided everyone agrees to play that way. I'm not sure that you have to start playing with all these ideas if your players are unhappy with them. The extended contest system and magic give plenty of moments for player's to help narrate the story in ways that RQwould nothave done and get them comfortable with the idea. Don't run before they can walk.

But, Stefan a question, maybe you are asking too much to start with. Have yout hought of not explaining the cultures, the causes, firghtening them with large amounts of information but showing it to them in game and letting them ask you when they want to know more. Want them to understand the kinship rules of Orlanthi culture, write an episode about it; a holy day ceremony - write an episode that features events that happen at one. It is the old novelist concepts: the background is like an iceberg, 90% of it is below the surface and show don't tell. Especially the latter - show don't tell. My players are all Glorantha fans, but even their eyes glaze over every time I start down the road of exposition...