Re: Decimal hero wars

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:01:58 EST

In a message dated 10/01/03 11:16:09 GMT Standard Time, hw-rules_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

<< > But how are you going to handle bumps for mastery?
Nick:
 Surely you'd decimalise masteries, at the same time you decimalise  every other ability and opposition rating in the game.>>

Yes, that is pretty much the point of the whole thing.

<< > And I hate fumbles, they always piss my players off
 Nick:
 De gustibus. I love them, myself.>>

I like extreme results in both directions, in fact I thought there were too few fumbles with D20 and almost no chance of a complete defeat (fumble/fumble) as there was usually either an ability imbalance or a Hero Point to spare . Also worth noting that (in my gaems at least) avoiding fumbles is the real reason most desperate Hero points get spent, and also makes it worth trying to augment to reach the next bumping off point to avoid the possibility of fumbles.

Admittedly there are lots more "narrator decides" but then they can be as much fun as fumbles if you have enough ideas. "....OK you win the contest but have to walk that way until you propitiate the frog goddess in some appropriate manner...."

Anyway you added your own caveat to disliking fumbles: "unless it is inconsequential or extremely funny"

which I would agree with, I guess it depends how funny you find catastrophic failure. Personally, I find laughing at others inconsequential misfortune (ie in an RPG) quite easy.

Keith