Re: CONVERTING THE HEATHEN

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 14:31:25 -0400

guy hoyle wrote:

> Imagine a situation like this:
>
> Me: "Hey, I have this neat new game, HERO WARS! It's about Glorantha, and
> you fight to prevent the end of the world. It isn't like any game you've
> ever played."
>
> Them: "You mean I have to learn a whole new set of rules?"
>
> Me: "Well, uh... it's the best way to represent Glorantha in a fantasy
> game..."
>
> Them: "What's this 'Glorantha' you keep talking about? And why don't you
> just convert the world over to GURPS/Champions/FUDGE/etc.?"
>
> Have any of you figured out a painless way to pique the interest of people
> who know nothing about Glorantha, and would rather just see the world
> adapted to theur favorite set of rules?
>
> Guy Hoyle

I have been doing demos for SJG and Alderac and White Wolf for the past five years on a semi-pro basis.

The best thing to do is sit down and do a demo. I usually have something like a bowl of candy and some stuff to give away (in this case, copies of the demo -- sans application form) and say, "Tell you what, we can play for a bit and see how you like it."

Most gamers seem to like that approach. And, for kudo's sake, I'm one of Alderac's top bounty hunters, having written their 'demo protocols' handbook and the sample demo scenario for 7th Sea.

Run something fun and memorable that partakes of the Genre. THIS IS THE CRUCIAL POINT. For 7th Sea, I use something involving press gangs, bars, wenches and a good lot of brawling -- and snappy repartee. For L5R, doomed samurai are taking on a mission for their lord.

For HW, I'd do something involving the livlihood of your clan and people. Say, someone stealing all your sheep... (sheepish grin) Or protecting Old Farmer Jistin from the evils of the Doggie-Boy Menace.

But that's just my opinion.

Jeff Kyer

Jeff