Re: Re: Heroic Actions [Rant, OT]

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:58:28 -0800

> Having more than one way to do things in a game is fine, but that's
> not the problem. I'd like to know, before setting out to decide
> these things, what was intended in the first place. The only way
> that I see of determining that is by either reading Greg's mind or
> reading every single scrap about Glorantha.

First off, let me say that I'm not disparaging your style of play, but trying to show the intent of the rules, as you asked.

You'd better be proficient at reading not only Greg's, but mine, Robin Laws', Nick Brooke's, David Dunham's, Ttrotsky's, Alex Ferguson's, David Hall's, and everybody else who has contributed - directly or in- - to Glorantha. Some abilities are direct steals from RQ or fan publications with serial numbers filed off and a new name. Others are simply whimsical phrases that sounded cool. Some seem to be absolutely worthless even after three years of play by hundreds of people, some seem to be uber-abilities.

I'm sorry that the decision to not provide rules for every feat, spell, spirit and ability isn't to your taste. Besides the amount of verbiage that doing so would require, it was against the design intent of the game. It was a conscious decision on the part of the design team *not* to do so, but to instead allow (or force) the narrators and players to decide for themselves what "Sunset Leap" or "Death Song Berserk" means.

Let me state that again: The intent is to allow *you* to decide what a feat, spell, spirit or ability can be used for, or not, and if there should be a penalty applied to the target number.

Glorantha is too big a place to shackle down with detailed rules on how far and in what direction you can "Sunset Leap". Gloranthans, as well as us real-life humans, are still discovering things about their land, their magic and their cultures. And the Hero Wars are a time of accelerated change. Everyday rules are being broken right and left by Gloranthans. Greg no longer expects (never has, really) to be the sole voice of Gloranthan discovery and creation. Every player is allowed, no, *expected* to add to the communal knowledge - if only in his own group.

RR