Re: Heroic Actions [Rant, OT]

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...> <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 04:00:03 -0000

> The people I have run have not had problems with the system OR
with
> the lack of 'spell descriptions' - I ask them what they think it
does
> and most of them have some very keen ideas.
>
> Most folks I encounter (but not all!) seem to like the idea of
> defining their own magic very much. Its certainly better than the
> endlessly lock-step and rigid spell and magic lists of D&D3D.

> Hmmm. Let me say this, "Read what is says on the side of the tin"
and
> then follow the instructions?

> To put in the descriptions of the 820 feats, talents and spells
listed
> in the Hero Wars list (even at an impossible 1 line each) would
add
> another 20 pages to the book. Its probably been suggested by
others
> but you might want to read the 'Sunset Leap' story Greg wrote to
> realize that the same feat can be used in many DIFFERENT ways.
>
> If there's one thing I absolutely hate about D&D is paging through
200
> pages of spell descriptions I will never use or see to find the
ONE
> that I might have to have memorized... but that is the opposite
> extreme.

> You shouldn't. You should just see what you want.
>
> > sources if I want more. For example, the ONLY reason I know
what
> > Wind of Above and Wind of Below are is because I've played King
of
> > Dragon Pass. To me, that's not "beginner friendly". If these
> things
>
> Are they? Wind from above and below could be whatever you want
them to
> be.
>
> We are very serous when we say, 'Your GLorantha May Vary' - its a
> shame to cast it in glass and forever preserve it as a static and
> lifeless thing...

> Oh well. I can't really say more on this, I fear.
>
> Jeff

I am aware that the written word sometimes translates poorly, but my intial response to reading this was what a "condescending, unhelpful and uncaring person".

Some people here are having problems, we must be the petrol sniffers with a lot less brain cells.

20 extra pages...
A rule book that was self contained...
My my we are such outrageously demanding, paying customers...

Sorry for the cynicism, but I found it very annoying.