Re: Berserkers...

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:19:35 -0000

I'd guess a Fumble would leave you at a penalty of some sort in the forthcoming Combat (Loss of AP, Handicap of 1/4 the beserk ability...?) While a Crit would give you some additional bonus (extra AP's, increased edge) - possibly with a reduced chance of recognising friends or being "talked out" of the rage...

>Assuming actually GOING berserk is treated as an
> Unconnected Action (or whatever the phrase is), is there any
> particular way to oppose it, or can any relevant roll attempt to?

I imagine those feats and abilities which can be used to calm a berserker down could equally be used to prevent him getting into a rage in the first place. You could roll this as a simple contest,

>If so, what happens with a Marginal Success, for instance?

The beresrker doesn't go berserk, but still doesn't change his feelings towards you?

Alternately you could first resolve the "Go Berserk" and then the "Calm down Berserk" (if relevant) as two straight ability tests.

>I can imagine
> a Challana Arroy, fingers crossed, attempting 'Calm Patient' while
> the Uroxi warband winds up to speed...

Finally, if they are "winding up to speed", you could run it as an extended contest...

Bill the Storm Bull: "I chew my shield and whip myself with the scabard of my sword (10 Ap bid)"

Charlotte the Chalana Arroy: "I say 'there, there, tell me all about it', and wipe his brow with a damp hankie (12 Ap bid)"