Re: Playing Hero Wars [was an entirely inappropriate subject line]

From: reinierd <reinierd_at_...> <reinierd_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 04:23:42 -0000

On boringness of just playing the 1/10 augment game. I agree this is boring, especially for a game which is supposed to be heroic. You read off a bunch of combat augments, and Truesword is pretty much equivalent to Sword Help. Big bummer. However, one thing I discovered over the course of 1+ year of email play is that at the end of the day the numbers really don't matter: what stays in everyone's mind is the description that you used for your actions. Our players in the Legion of Death campaign are not powerful (maybe 10W best skill, with most PCs around 7W and pretty unrounded characters), but because they succeeded in their contests and did so in an entertainingly-described way, they feel like heroes. So I would encourage you to focus on description, and to let the numbers follow from there. You will probably find that the gamesmanship that you used to use on mechanics gets transferred to clever description.

Example. In an another email game which unfortunately died a premature death, Graham once gave a threat that went something like this. "I, Lightning-Hand Skerri (+1 augment for speed), son of Jarl who strangled a bear (+1 augment from strength), grandson of Jim the Lunar-Slayer (+1 against Lunars), call on my ancestors to witness this fight and aid me against the unjust oppressors." [a long list of ancestors and kin with heroic feats follows] Even if some of the augments get turned down by the narrator, you can imagine how powerful he would have been at the end of that recitation! Admittedly, this type of description works best for email rather than face to face play. Hope this helps.