Re: Frustrating rules

From: miker19036 <miker_at_...> <miker_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:37:49 -0000

Go back to my original complaint about the standard response being "it does what you want." When someone comes looking for help, I find this to be a very unhelpful answer. When I come looking for help with a part of a game system or setting, this is the last answer I want to hear. If I knew what I wanted it to do or what I felt it should do, I wouldn't have asked. I doubt anyone would've asked.

Stop assuming that everyone wants or likes the openness of "modern" Glorantha (I'm more inclined to call it "muddiness"). One of the attractions that Glorantha originally had for me was its depth of detail and how it hung together (without being utterly alien like Tekumel). And one of the attractions of using someone else's setting is so that I don't have to spend time making up the world, and I can concentrate on the specifics of the campaign.

In short, if something is explained or defined, it's one less thing that I have to just make up. I can ignore or change anything I want, and it's more likely to fit if I know what the designer originally intended. The key is the "M" in YGMV. It stands for "may". "Modern" Glorantha is changing that "may" to a "will", and I don't like the implications of that.

> So far, I've seen a small number of feat names mentioned, but I'm
not sure
> whether my advice is helping, needs to be expanded on, or entirely
misses
> the point. Any feedback? Questions I (and others) can try to answer?

Your advice has been helping some, but you're not going to convince me to change what I want out of a game. Just recognize that it's different than what you want and equally valid.

Mike Ryan