Re: Feats, their description and use

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...> <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:48:01 -0000

General consensus is that -20 penalty (coming from one source) is about as big a penalty you can get and still use the skill. After that, one starts to wonder if its simply one that is completely inappropriate. A monster shark thrashing around on the dock might get a -30 to its combat ability, frex.

> In my game if I allowed that those with Shield Destroy would simply
> use it everytime because they know an opponent would be weak
against
> it (except for those with Unbreakable Shield)... fair enough I
> suppose but...

Or you can simply use the shield destroyer as a simple contest within the melee/extended contest. Equipment seems to play a somewhat greater role in HQ.

> I think I would prefer the simple contests, to dramatise the feat
> use...

Often this is what I use.

(Decapitate foe)
(failure)
(caster takes penalty as he was stabbed while trying to get the feat
set up properly)

> Why only once? If it works once why cant they use it over and over?
> In fact if you opponent was vulnerable to such an attack it would
> make sense to push it?

Augments can only be used once if its on YOU. If you use it on your opponent, you can use it again - but I would draw the line at repeatedly trying to use the same (fairly specialized) feat over a long melee.

Decapitate foe works well till he's decapitated. Shield Destroyer won't do much good after his shield is gone - unless the player has a good idea how to use it further.

> Just trying to understand what you mean, I have seen a few comments
> where people have said they would allow something once but not
> again... if I tried that on my players they would get annoyed, if
> something works once why wont it work again? In the same combat, or
> the next combat? I know it isnt original to do the same thing over
> and over, but by what rule (other then being GM) can you say this
> them?

Just try to visualize the situation and use common sense?

Jeff