RE: Neat idea

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:45:51 -0000

On Wednesday, February 19, 2003 11:25 PM, flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...>  wrote:
> Someone posted the idea of a vampire having a "Cant be killed except
> by decapitation" skill, thats really a net idea.

It was Benedict, I think, and it was a very good idea indeed...

> One problem I have with using it...
>
> A player has his sword out and announces a normal attack, 10AP. The
> vampire defends with "Cant be killed". The superior vampire
> obviously wins and inflicts damage back on the attacker... how does
> one rationalise such a result with a skill that is essentially an
> invulnerability... why does it do damage? I can sort of see ways
> but thought it useful to get other comments...

The thing to remember is that a loss of AP does not necessarily represent "damage" in the same way as a loss of hit points would in most rules systems. Instead, it represents a loss of "advantage" - so when the player hero loses AP by trying to attack the invulnerable vampire, we could explain it in a number of ways. For example..

For a small AP loss:

For a larger AP loss:

For a really large AP loss:

For an absolutely catastophic AP loss:

In addition, you could always rationalise the AP loss by deciding that the vampire smiles fiendishly (and sharply) wades through the hero's ineffective blows and strikes him down. Just because the vampire is the "defender" in the action and isn't directly using an attack as such, doesn't mean that we can't explain it that way once the dice stop moving.

I hope this helps out.

Regards,

Bruce