FEATS AND OTHER SETTINGS FOR HW

From: Peter Tracy <bachelornewtling_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:29:57 +1100

Oh Orlanth this Feat topic has been going a long time.

I was wondering about other settings for HW, and what people have used. I've a mate who wants to run a HW system "Magician"(Feist) game. I was tinkering with Star Wars.
It occurred to me that Star Wars was the perfect setting and the perfect descriptor for the HW feats topic that has been firing along for what seems like months now.

Classic movie/game Jedi have a variety of Control (Self), Sense (Universe), and Alter (Reality) abilities. Also abilities that cross these boundaries.

If these abilities were affinities, extra feats could be learned, or improvised (at heavy penalty).

Thus, since we are basically familiar with the overall ethos of Star Wars, the GM should be able to say... hmm, yeah, OK, you can improvise that leap out of the Carbon Freeze chamber with your Alter affinity at -10. Or say, Hmmm... OK you can use your Sense and Alter abilities to pick that lock...

Now, movie Jedi abilities are not all that well defined. And I think the D20 system attempt to systematically define them is really crap, but HW would suit them well. Star Wars is however has reasonably well defined reality, and a quite heroic milieu.

Dark side stuff could be like Passion spirits (Fear, Anger, Hatred, Suffering) that gave bonuses, but also grew each time used.

Sorry. I'm too tired to really make a sensible description of what I was trying to say. Try again later.

The main point I think is that HW is NOT, and can never be D&D style gaming. Glorantha is a world that should (ie deserves) to defy attempts to reduce it to a mundane type game world. I think HW is a great system (it has flaws, but less than most)... there, I've lost it again. Bugger. That drink DIDN'T help.... Aahh... a great system, but it took us months to REALLY get it. The best moments in our old RQ games were times where we had creatively and ruthlessly misused and misrepresented magical abilities. The time on the Cradle I realised we had NO offensive ranged spell or weapons to reach our shoreside enemies... but a well placed Berserk spell on that Lunar Sorcerers bodyguard disrupted their casting... or casting Sense Chaos on a Lunar to make him realize... "yup, I am surrounded by Broo mercenaries, and dammit, they are Chaotic, what am I doing?!".... HW is built for those little moments.

That drink is really kicking in. Goodnight.

Pete