Re: Group Simple Contests

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:55:48 -0000

> 1) Suppose there's two characters per side. Side A obtains a natural
> critical and a failure. Side B two successes, the lower being, say,
> 3.
> What's the outcome? Side A wins with a critical vs. side B's success
>(minor victory)? Or side B wins with a success vs. side A higher roll
>(1 for the critical + 3 for the failure) (marginal victory)?

Lets say that the first side has characters A and B and the second side X and Y. They are all using abilities whose skill rank is 17

A rolls a 1, B rolls a 19, X rolls a 3 and Y a 15

Take the best success from each side (1, 3) add 3 for each failure (4,3) and this gives X&Y a marginal victory over A&B. It has to work this way,I think, or rolling Critical automtically negates the need for the other rolls (Imagine it is Snow White & the Seven Dwarves - she rolls aCritical and they all Fumble - you'd expect the net result to be a failure rather than a critical success!)

> In this latter case, if the critical wasn't a natural 1 but another
>number bumped up by mastery, you would compare that roll+3 (for the
>failure) against side B's roll or would you count the critical as a
>rolled 1 regardless of what the dice actually shows?

OK, let's say A has a score of 5W and rolls a 2. Under normal circumstances this would be a "success bumped to a Critical" - add the +3 for B's failure gives a 5 - still a Critical so A&B get a minor success (Crit vs Success). If A rolled a 3 then the +3 would make it 6 giving X&Y a marginal success again 3 vs 6(Failure bumped to success).

> 2) How does the mastery canceling rule work when you have mixed
>groups of mastery and non mastery types in a group simple contest?

Tricky!
At a minimum you can reduce everyone until the lowest person has no masteries (which may be no reduction at all A=7w3, B=14W, X=12W2, Y=14W2 would reduce to A=7W2, B=14,X=12W and Y =14W - this can't reduce any further since B has no masteries)

Of course this might mean that where very high masteries are involved you will still end up with a lot of "Crit/Crit" results, meaning a single powerful hero can "cover" for a lot of inept companions. If this seems unlikely you could always make use of the leaked new rule that excess bumps can bump down and reduce until one side has no masteries in play - for the above example we would get A=7W, B=14W-1, X=12, Y=14
the W-1 works as you might expect 1 is a (critical bumped down to) success, 2 - 14 is a (success bumped down to) failure, 15-19 is a (failure bumped down to a) Fumble, and a 20 is still a fumble!

But to be honest I'd rarely do this. As someone else suggested you are probably better off setting a "single" TN for the resistance and getting the PC's to roll against this individually. (You might like to give bonuses or penalties to later participants based on earlier rolls if appropriate)