Re: HW Ancient Greece?

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:13:32 -0500

Andrew Solovay writes:
> It occurs to me that Ancient Greece is very Gloranthan in the
> way that the mythologies kept shifting to accommodate cultural
> clashes.

I'm sure that I'm not the first person to suggest this, but any serious gloranthaphile should definitely read "The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony" and "Ka" by Roberto Callasso. They're translations from the Italian originals, but they're still a wonderful new presentation of first Hellenic and then Hindu myth.

I found "Cadmus and Harmony" in particular a great source of ideas. "Ka" I found a bit more difficult, but I suspect that has to do with all those names and terms that aren't at all familiar to me, where as (being the son of a classicist), the Hellenic myths are something I was exposed to from an early age.

Also I would highly recommend Wolfe's "Soldier of Mist/Soldier of Arete" duology. I gather that Tor will be collecting them both into a trade paperback for release later this year (as they did with the books in the New Sun sequence), so if you don't already own them that would be a good time to pick them up. Things move slowly in Wolfe's books, but the detail is exquisite, and the feel is very Gloranthan.

(Sorry, this probably should have been posted to the Hero Wars list, and not the rules list.)

--
Viktor