RE: Re: Training

From: Graham, Andrew <agraham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:21:31 +0100

> wrote:
> >The other way to do it is for the player to go and ask/negotiate for
> >the training at the end of the planed episode, but still in game.
> >That way he could reasonably then clam the "related to episode" cost
> >for the increase in skill.
>
> I was going to offer much the same advice. By and large, training is
> not "interesting", especially if it is only one character from a
> group who is persuing it (Obviously you could devote an evening's
> play to a training session (think of William learning to joust in "A
> Knights Tale" or Wart'stransformations in "Sword in the Stone", but
> then it wouldn't be "training between episodes"). On the other hand,
> a player who makes an effort to track down people to provide them
> training (and thus giving the GM NPC's with whom they have a
> relationship and can thus act as patrons, complications or otherwise
> introduce plot twists into the campaign) should be rewarded above
> those who just say "I'll spend all my Hero points putting up my Close
> Combat abilities..."

If the training did become a significant part of the scenario then you could
treat it a bit like ritual augmentation [Based on Teaching ability with bonuses for time spent, good facilities , respect for teacher etc]. With the resistance being the players existing ability with modifiers for abilities like "Quick Learner" or "Slow Witted". The level of success or failure would then modify your ability [Say +1 per level of success].
And yes training can make you worse as well as better. This would then have to be cemented by a Hero Point at the end of the training.

Obviously this is just my suggestion and not in the rules as written. But the system its self is flexible enough to do things they way you and your players want them to work.

Andy

This E-Mail and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and for the
exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

If you have received this E-Mail in error please return it to the sender.
We should be grateful if you would also copy the communication to postmaster_at_... then delete the E-Mail and destroy any copies of it.

It is your responsibility to scan any attachments for viruses.

For further information, visit us at WWW.MITSUIBABCOCK.COM