RE: HW/Q Forgotten Realms?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 01:40:44 +0100 (BST)

> Ditto what Sben said. In regard to using HW/Q
> homelands, the 3rd ed. FR
> campaign setting book provides a nice list of
> regional feats and languages,
> as well as common occupations for regions and races.

True: if I want to generate keywords, they're all there for me.

> First, figure out the likely range of PC character
> levels. ...IIRC, the Forgotten Realms
> setting has a number of epic level NPCs -- that
> setting's "heroes."

(nods) Met one of them tonight: 28th level.

> A 1st-level
> D&D character might have scores lower than a normal
> starting character in HW.

Much lower, I'd say.

> (The 3rd ed. DM's Guide
> has some tables on determining maximum character
> level by population, which
> might also provide benchmarks of a sort.)

Good idea.

>(or creature with a given number of hit dice).

Creatures: that's an idea. Comparison of Monster Manuals.

> Third, tinker. Some abilities will not be at "full
> strength" for a given
> level. If you decide that 10th level = XwY in HW,
> use that as the best score
> a character of that level would have.

I was thinking in terms of the two-keyword followers for comparison. "Fighter 5W", with all else improvised off that, for NPCs.

> My goal would be to produce something that works
> mechanically, without
> trying to compare it to HW/Q ability benchmarks.

> Given the evolution of HW
> ability ratings, I'd settle for something internally
> consistent for your FR game,

True. Since, as previously discussed, HW *isn't* internally consistent to start with :(

> Give all those +3 Longswords of Bugbear Smiting an
> appropriate HW score, so
> they can provide automatic augments. D&D feats might
> also work well as augmenting abilities.

I wondered if Feats should be just that: standalone feats, rather than abilities?

> I would probably try to adapt the theistic magic
> rules for D&D divine magic

agreed. Treat clerics as Devotees, forget initiates?

> and use sorcery for arcane magic. Now where's
> that HQ sorcery -- no, sorry, *wizardry* --
> revision, when it would be useful? :)

I never even read the HW sorcery rules, so I'll wait for the HQ version and save confusing myself.

> I actually wouldn't mind seeing the results of this
> project, and I'd be
> happy to discuss it more. If you'd prefer to take it
> to private email, that's fine, too.

At present I'm just wondering if it's possible rather than attempting to do it. After I've got and understood HQ, I may have a serious try at working out the details. I was rather hoping that someone had already done the work :)

> * Note that I claim greatest familiarity with the
> 3rd edition D&D rules
> system; I can't say as much about AD&D.

Same here: tried earlier versions and gave up in disgust. They're trying to convince me that 3rd is better. It is, but it's still not to my taste.

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience
http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer