Re: HQ Common Magic question and Augments

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 19:03:42 -0000

Please, don't go into the Otherworld stuff again. The game is set up now in HQ around clearly defined otherworlds who all share access to the HeroPlane and mundane world. I think that the concepts are much better described in HeroQuest. Certainly, I am much more comfortable about them. The otherworlds are much more clearly defined now. Each has a very distinct feel to it.

But then, I've never been one for deep cosmological matters. I have sheep to herd and a family to feed. What do I care for these matters?

Voriof's such a practical guy. =)

> > I view 'Common Magic' the same way I view folk magic. Its "The
Stuff
> > We've Always Done Because Its Useful."
>
> That'd be a viewpoint I'd be entirely comfortable with, it being
> necessarily locally (dare I say subjectively?) defined, and not
exclusive.

It seems to be the viewpoint of the HQ rules.

Common Magic is a collection of Local 'things that work.' There's a common set (common common magic!) that any player character knows which can be feats, talents, charms or spells at the player's whim. Also, there is the common magic from the local homeland (often referred to as the Common Religion).

Its just 'stuff that works that helps us' - and is not too concerned about where it comes from. Just that it works.

When a magician starts to get serious about their work, they have to forgo other magics (concentration). These serious magicians are not going to be using much common magic. They have access, through their more focused view, to more powerful but specialized magic.

A generalist or casual magician might consider to use the Common Magic. I can see it as a strong option for more maverick player characters.

> Cheers,
> Alex.

I will see about typing in more of the Common Magic stuff but I don't want to muddy the waters any more than I have already.

Jeff