Re: Herowars rules and play by e-mail games

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:43:30 +1000

Not sure about email, but in the IRC (inter-relay chat) real time game that I play in, as a GM I find extended contests a real horror, especially when more than one or two players are involved. (Mind you, I've never been the most rules inclined GM). My pref in real time online games is to drop ECs, as well as augment rolls, edges and anything that distracts from a single die result. I use simple contests, and description, together with a more graphic ('simulationist') approach to wounds. And automatic augments.

A typical combat might take 10 or twelve email exchanges if you use ECs.

Cheers

John