Inspired use of a Simple Contest

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 16:40:44 -0400

Jane Williams writes:

> I just love the way HW can be used to handle any *size* of
> situation in one simple roll!

By contrast; I helped a neophyte roleplayer, playing a 13 year old girl, in her fourth session ever, impress a clan chief and his close compadres by telling them about the broo her 15 year old newphew confronted and killed with his spear.

Great fun had by all, using an extended contest.

At this stage in her roleplaying life, I think the extended contest and its gamist mechanics roped her into the excitement of the game more than demanding that she roleplay through the event, or resolve it with a single die roll.

Heck, I rather like Hero Wars: it nicely scales back and forth for a wide variety of tastes and uses. And it makes you think in new ways about the relationship that mechanics have to the ongoing narrative (listen to me! I sound all ron-edwardsy!).

--
Viktor