Re: help for a beginner on extended rules

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:34:54 -0700

Mark

> I hope there are some extra exmaples in the HeroQuest book or I
>would recomend some extra ones be added to this groups files. I
>really like the idea/concepts of a system but I'm still a little
>confused compared to the 'normal' style of games.

One major difference between HeroQuest and Hero Wars is the number and quality of examples. I think you'll be pleased.

And you're on the right track for thinking it's a different style of play -- it's a little hard getting used to, but IMO well worth it.

>1) If a significant combat starts, with say a charge of the hero's
>(Players) against a group of bowmen how would you run that ? What
>kind of skills would you use to start the AP totals and when would
>you judge the hero's getting to the bowmen so they can engage in Hand
>to hand combat ? Would this be as a concept of a AP total or a number
>of contests rounds ?
>
>or
>
>Would you view this as a simple context of bows vs combat/shield
>skill - to manage get into combat ? I could see that more in a
>different setting where way the hero's opponents had automatic
>weapons...

Ranged combat has never been the strongest point of Hero Wars,a nd I don't think it's changed much in HQ. The problem is two-fold:

  1. The archer can do something, and the target can't.
  2. If the archer loses the contest, he is unlikely to be at all affected once the target gets close.

Plus:

3. In many situations (e.g. mounted archers in open terrain), the target will NEVER be able to close -- hardly a dramatic result.

So I usually treat the initial archery as a separate contest, and either assign consequences based on the outcome (such as penalties or AP adjustments for the ensuing melee). Sometimes you can treat it as a larger contest, with an ability switch in the middle.

Ideally, I wouldn't run a Grazer game, where this sort of thing happens all the time...

>2) If a hero (a player) has a major NPC on the run and draws his bow
>to shot a major NPC is this an extended contest or a simple one ? If
>simple then how do you judge the combat results and if complex how is
>this described to/by the players ?

Since you emphasize "major NPC," I'd use the rule of drama. Is it OK that the major NPC is taken out (or escapes) with a single lucky roll? Decide your contest type by how much "camera time" the sequence deserves.

Also, this may be part of an ongoing contest (the NPC is attempting to escape; the hero is using various abilities to stop this). In which case a bow shot is just one action in an extended contest.

>3) If in the middle of a 'straight/normal' combat one of the players
>wants their character to taunt an opponent into making a mistake or
>throw sand in their eye's etc. Is this a simple contest in the middle
>of the extended one (and if sucessfull this provides edges for the
>extended completion which is rolled straight after the simple one) ?

There are very few circumstances where you'd want a simple contest in the middle of an extended contest (for unrelated actions). This sounds to me like a continuation of the same contest -- same two opponents. You can always switch abilities in an extended contest.

>Would the principle be the same if instead of verbal taunts the
>player decided to use Erol Flin style acrobatics to help in the
>combat?

The principle would be the same. Same contest, different abilities.

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html