Re: sorcerous spell outcome for "Haste"

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:48:53 EDT

 rjremr_at_... said:

> Use the rules for Augmenting (pp 79-80). Take the Auto Augment (1/10th
> Spell's Ability rating), or roll for it. Basically, any time you think a
> spell/other magical ability gives a bonus to another ability, it's an
> Augment.

That sounds very weak to me...quite mundane in fact...i think magic should be a little bit more ooomph! It´s called Haste not "Gain Speed from a turtle"....:-)

> Of course, you could also allow the spell to give a stand-alone ability of
> "Run Fast" (or whatever) if the user doesn't happen to have a quickness
> related ability to augment.

Sounds much better to me!

> Then check your level of victory:
> Complete Victory = Use Spell Ability Rating as your "Run Fast" rating
> Major Victory = 50% Spell rating as "Run Fast"
> Minor Victory = 10% Spell rating as "Run Fast"
> Marginal Victory = Run Fast 1

I think this is flawed....
1.) if i fail, i fail, no matter how good my opponent resists. So no magic on a marginal victory.
2.) If i succeed and my opponent fails thats the"normal"case and since a starting rating of 18 would make quite a big bonus i´d say: minor victory = half the spells rating as a bonus
3.) major victory = bonus = rating of spell 4.) If i achieve a critical and my opponent fumbles, thats extraodinary...i would say complete victory = rating of spell times two (like in the augmentation table)

What does everybody think ?

all the best

Christian