Re: Self-sacrifice contests: successful but wounded

From: marutukku2000 <marduk_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 08:11:00 -0000

> One idea that pops to mind is some sort of "pre-wounding" (like the
> pre-healing of dragonewts). In exchange for some sort of
consequence,
> you'd get a bonus for the contest. Perhaps if you agree to be Hurt
> afterwards, you get a +10 (since -10 AP = Hurt on the Contest
> Consequences chart). If you are willing to be Injured, you get +30.
> Despite the bonus, you might still roll badly, and could suffer
> additional consequences if you lose.
>
> (The wound isn't actually suffered in advance -- you don't take a
> -50% Injury penalty until after the contest.)

I know it's not at all the same thing, but when playing HeroWars our group used a somewhat less rigid / more heroic version of the final action rule. I wouldn't know how the rule stands now in HeroQuest, as it still hasn't arrived here in Finland.

If a hero was defeated and injured at, say -25 AP:s, and his opponent held a sword to his throat, the hero could (most of the time) use a hero point and try a final action even if the opponent was aware of the hero's action. The risk was great, but sometimes it paid off.

So, sometimes we had even an injured hero defeating his opponent. And no, I really wouldn't care if the opponent was at -10 and the hero at -25 AP after the contest, the hero got in the final blow, so he won and could finish his opponent off if he felt like it.

Aki Martti