Re: How to treat awakened objects

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:58:46 -0700

> The secret of some of the craft cults is to awaken the daimone of the
> object they are making. But what does that daimone do?

Sits around and gets dusty...

Oh, you mean in game terms.

> One answer is: they are rare enough the narrator can just follow the
> needs of the story.

Always a good answer.

> Any comments, thoughts, other ideas? If it matters, I'm mostly
> thinking of how to treat an awakened object as a retainer. I'd
> really love to be able to specify a gloomy boat, a snobbish cup, or
> whatever, but I don't see that working out, rules-wise.

How about a Guardian? It can communicate with you, can have some abilities, a personality, etc. It should be an Emanation or Manifestation, have some number (maybe less than 54) of points to "buy" abilities with. I'd probably just say "Chose abilities and spread these points among them" rather than specifying Awareness, Defense and Blessing as the ability types (basically make everything a Blessing, even if it has a Defense or Awareness function).

I'd ignore the "Potential Ability rating" rule (the one based on the Community support table), since you only have one person associated with it. I would probably allow the player to add HP to it just like a retainer.

RR
- Richelieu