How to play instant damaging effects?

From: Paul Pofandt <ppofandt_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 01:00:10 -0000

G'day.

I've been out of touch with the lists since I lost all my players. But with my squeaky clean copy of HQ in my hands, things will ramp up shortly (hopefully).

Just trying to get my head around how various elements will play out. One thing that sprang to mind was the question of playing out or simulating instantly damaging effects. The 1st thing that came to mind was traps. I also realised that it could be expanded on to include things such as sniper fire, falling etc. These are events that occur in an instant (or near so) and usually produce some form of debilitating effect. I'm a little at sea as to how to use the current rules to simulate the effects.

I was wondering if anyone would care to share just how they would handle such issues?

I had some thought as to handling traps and suchlike and they all seem to be oriented around a high-bid extended contest. eg. Trap: Person use his 'cunningly conceal boobytrap' skill (I'm talking about a professional tomb trapper here) in a simple contest, evaluated at a point in the future when the players encounter it. Success or failure against the players awareness or search (if actively looking for traps) could generate either a carryover of some sort, or just create a 'completely surprised' combat modifier of +20 for the next skill of 'Create lethal boobytrap' in a one-pass extended contest which pits the ENTIRE AP of the create boobytrap (+ modifiers) against the player appropriate skill - attempting to drive them into negative APs. Not sure what the appropriate resistance skill would be but I thought default resistance augmented by other skills/protection if surprised, or whatever skill the player thinks to use if ready for it.

Any thoughts/suggestions?