Re: Re: Repeating heroquests

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:30:16 +0100

>How do Practice Quests work here ? Are they only for personal
>benefit or could you stop a drought that way ? (Obviously if it was
>a major or magical drought that might not be enough).

A practice quest can do anything you can do with a full quest, but not on the same scale. In game terms, I'd be tempted to treat it like the difference between concentrated and unconcentrated common magic. So on the full quest you reach the end, slay Aroka, release Heler and you get one use of his "Rain 10W5" or whatever to defeat the drought with. (Not that I'd bother rolling...) On the practice quest you beat up something suitably draconic, gut it, and then gain a +11 (or whatever) to any ability used in surviving the drought.

Note that this is just the game rules I'm suggesting here - in story terms, both quests might result in a magic jar that produces water, discovering a new body of water, bringing someone back with helpful magic, etc. I'm just trying to suggest ideas for how the difference in scale might be represented.

Cheers,
Graham