RE: Re: Three Worlds headaches

From: stephenmcg_at_...
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:18:15 +0100

Julian said:
> I do agree with Si however : the division of common magic into the
> various magic systems is confusing and provides no obvious benefit. I
> am utterly unimpressed by the fact that the Esvulari Hide in Cover is
> a Feat, Fire Stick is a Charm, and Conceal Object a Spell. The n
> worlds are meaningful, the n common magics (as presented) are not.

I'm just reading htrough the whole magic chapter just now - on the tube every day! I thought that one of the advantages of Common Magic was that you did use all three types - feats, charms and spells. When I was reading the magic chapter someone trying to remove the effects of a spell found it more difficult to do so if the magic was not of their sphere. A Theist would have a -20 when trying to lift the effects of a wizardly curse. Using Common Magic you have access to three varieties of magic and so could make things very difficult for people.

I think, on first reading, that the current system is more interesting and that there is a greater differentiation between the magic systems. Haven't tried to run it yet though!