Dealing with Talents (was Re: Three Worlds Headaches)

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:43:28 -0000

I think you have too many "Not"'s in that sentance, but I think I know what you mean, and I have heard others say similar things ("Why is my cool ability 'X' lower than my boring old keyword Y which everyone has?") - I have to say it doesn't bother me that much - even at 13 you still have 'X' more than twice anyone who didn't list/describe it, and you still have the option to spend more "creation points" on it to start it even higher.

What did strike me as odd though, when I finally got to look at the sample characters in any detail. Some of the characters had extra Common Magic abilities writen into their lists/descriptions over and above the 5 "free" abilities that all Common Magic using characters get. I would have expected these to start at the Common Magic Keyword rating of 17, but the generally seem to start at the "default" of 13.

>Secondly, ask the same question about a troll devoting to Orlanth.
>Or a human woman, to jump back on an old hobby-horse. Exactly which
>of their innate magics do they have to give up to become "like
>Orlanth"?

In the case of Women, if they want to devote to Orlanth, they have to do so through Vinga, which might lead you to believe that any other route leads to them having to give up innate magic which is necessary for their survival.

Obviously if a Troll devotes to a Theist cult, or an Animist Practice, or a Sorcery/Wizardry school, he has to give up all the innate magic he has from other sources. However, since his innate magic all comes from the underworld, where such distinctions are not made - he doesn't have a problem ;)