RE: Re: Extended Contest - Argument Overridden

From: stephenmcg_at_...
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:17:42 +0100

> if Charge-over-trooper vs whatever succeeds, the AP balance changes a bit but
> the trooper doesn't die, get knocked off the bridge, or anything else
> that would end the contest. So it only ends when AP reaches zero?

That's the long and short of it - the contest ends when someone's AP reach zero. The amount of AP bid represent how dramatic the effort was - if the cavalry soldier really wanted to try and leap over the trooper he'd have to bid big - effectively trying to end the contest in one go - given that the trooper had 44AP to his 8 then that would mean bidding 44+ AP. Failure would have dramatic consequences for him - he'd be possibly at -36AP.

On a smaller (and succesful) AP bid he tried pushing his horse forward and while gained some lost ground it was not a decisive action in the overall contest.

> What happens if the cavalry soldier jumps his horse over the trooper
> successfully, but doesn't win the AP contest?

That probably doesn't happen. The AP bid was successful and perhaps the charge made the trooper fall back slightly but the cavalry soldier doesn't get over the bridge until he wins the contest.

> Did the jump succeed or is the jumping sub-contest in that round actually a failure, perhaps
> just pushing the trooper back a bit? Even though he cleared the trooper by 3 feet?

Like I said, if he was trying to clear the trooper he'd have to have bid enough AP to win the contest, not rolled well enough to win the bid.

> In other words, does the overall AP contest tweek the results of the sub-contests?

It is something that hasn't been explicitly stated in posts so far but the AP bid reflects the daring nature of the action attempted. If the action described doesn't match the AP bid offered tell the player he's got to change the action or change the bid.

> Next time I'll have the sticky bits of stomped trooper slow down the
> horse so that the cavalry guy still suffers a minor defeat in the
> overall contest to match the AP result :-).

:-)

But you still have to account for the minor success of the trooper - not really a victory of any kind if he's stomped!!

Stephen