Re: Magic vs. Non-Magic Resistance

From: DaveCamo_at_...
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:05:12 +0000

Hi!

>If I have a mundane Ability named Jump 13 and I try to jump a garden
>wall that's Tall 10 for leaping purposes, I'll probably win. But
>jumping over a Tower with a Tall 10w5 means that I'll fail almost
>certainly.

Everything except the wall's resistance is correct. 14 is the minimum resistance for an inanimate object. Anything that should be less than that would be an automatic success (and that would apply to magic, too.) Take a look at the resistance table on pp 274-5 of HQ.

>If I have a magical Ability named Great Leap 13 and I try to jump the
>wall, I'm more likely to lose as the resistance goes up to 14. But I
>have the same chance of leaping the Tower as the wall.

The rule above would eliminate the first half of this problem (which is why it's there!) The second half, though, is correct.

>Do I have the rule right? If so, what's the rationale for this?
>Besides, "FU, it's magic"? I mean, doesn't this make magical
>abilities potentially incredibly powerful at low levels? What am I
>missing? In HW, 14 was the minimum resistance for Magic. Not the
>default for things that have no special magical resistance, but the
>default for things that had no resistance at all. Has that really
>changed?

Greg wanted magic to be more powerful and yes, it does make magic more powerful at low levels *if it can be used as an ability*. Consider that you have to be a devotee to use a feat (ignoring that you can improvise for the moment) as an ability, for instance.

Under the HW model, there was really no difference between having a mundane Jump 17 and a magical Great Leap 17. In HQ, there definitely is!

One other thing to keep in mind is that the 14 resistance for magic is only with mundane obstacles. If we're talking about a tree instead of a tower, for instance, and the mundane tree has a Tall of 10W5, using magic would be against a 14 resistance. If, however, the tree was inhabited by a daemon, magical leaping ability would be against the magic of the inhabitant. Take a look at the example on page 100 of HQ.

Camo