Re: Implicit and explicit factors in Extended Contests

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 11:52:48 -0000

> Well I'm certainly not advocating blanket bans,...

You certainly give that impression, which may I admit be a false one. My preference is to find ways to let players have their characetr do what they want, using the rules to enable that rather than to exclude options.

> ....Now I'm certainly not suggesting
> that the player's preferences should be ignored but I do want to
> consider other issues and I don't think that "I want to bid more
AP"
> should be the overriding concern.

I think that clearly a high-bidding player wants their character to attempt a daring and risky manoeuver is a big concern, especialy if they're not being allowed to do so.

>"I jump over the hedge, and as I descend I hack at the monster with
>my sword". Now that *IS* more heroic, but it is also clearly not
>two distinct actions. So I would have a much stronger bias in
>favour of resolving that in a single exchange.

I realy don't see what the big deal is. A decleration of "I argue my case before the presidium all through the afternoon, bringing to bear all my experience as an orator - I bid 15 APs" is a perfectly good exchange declaration in a realy long-running contest.

Why would I asusme there are synchronisation problems? Ok if there's a specific situation you're concerned about let's hear it, but invoking unstated, off-stage factors to support a possition in this way is, well, less than helpful.

Simon Hibbs