Re: What's wrong with Kathy??

From: bigblackcatmail <bigblackcatmail_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:18:51 -0000

Thanks to all those who have replied thus far. I was hearing a lot of anti-Kathy talk in the "Argument Overridden" thread and its spin-offs. It confused me some I admit. I have found that, from my standpoint, HeroQuest works best when I:

1- Adopt five different responses ("Yes", "Yes, but", "How do you...?", "You can try" and "No, and...") while making use of the first three almost exclusively 75% of the time.

2- I plan for "Bangs!" rather than scenarios and insert them whenever play starts to slow down.

3- I don't give a hoot how a game or contest ends. I'm willing to run the scenario to its logical conclusion regardless of which NPC dies or anything else.

4- I leave the maps at home. I've run 4 sessions thus far. The first was a learning exercise. The third was a revelation. The others were complete and total bombs, primarily because I was trying to run them off a map ala a "Dungeon Crawl". Ugh! The map is not my friend!

I've snipped the advice passed on thus far. Does anyone else have any more advice to add on how not to run like Kathy? :)