spare the extended contests

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:49:18 EST

In a message dated 14/11/03 12:41:21 GMT Standard Time, HeroQuest-Roderick writes:

<< I literally had a GM brag to me that he made the entire
 party roll Dex every foot of the distance as they crossed a high ledge -  Agh!)>>

Agh? I presume they failed.
That wasn't my point, just couldn't resist.

<< One thing I do when I watch shows is think "How would I do this in a
game?" >>

My point was to agree with Roderick's couch potato method, but also to add that I think the same can be done with written stories. I find it is suprisingly easy to decide whether a written scene is "just" narrative, a simple contest or an extended contest. Try it on an RE Howard short story.

Keith