Re: Huamkti gifts and geases

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:56:21 -0000

> > Given the Humakti problems with healing geases, this
> > could be a lifesaver at times, and irrelevant the rest
> > of the time. But would it count as "magical healing"
> > for geas purposes? A gift that breaks a geas: messy!
>
> I wouldn't consider it magical for geas purposes since Humakt is
> granting it.

In the Geas "Never accept magical healing" I think the important word here is 'accept'. I take this to eman you must resist healing magic used on you by others, but that you can use your own healing magic since you're not accepting anything. This gift would count as a personal healing ability.

Regarding the problem of geases to not use a specific type of nonsword  weapon, and gifts to a specific non-sowrd weapon ability, simply don't choose the same type of non-sword weapon for both. There's nothing wrong with having a geas not to use axes, but a gift of +5 with spears. If you insist on choosing the same category of weapons for the gift and geas then it's up to you to resolve the problem, as it's not one imposed by the game.

Jononrol's Blesing (+1 AP each round in combat) might be a problem, but I think it's fair to assume that most combats will be extended contests. If a combat isn't an extended contest, then it's clearly of limited importance to the story, so is it realy important enough to worry about a relatively minor effect like this? At a push (and to be fair most players will push at least a little) I would give the character a +1 bonus in combat simple contests instead, on the understanding that this is pure generosity and not necesserily setting a precedent in other circumstances.

Simon Hibbs