Re: Re: alternative wounding rules

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:47:31 -0800

> I knew you'd come back with that the moment after I posted it. I was
> thinking the same thing.

Something about "great minds" (or maybe "same gutter') spring to mind :-).

> It's not stated that adding
> Flaws can happen during play (or is it?), but I can't see not allowing it
> when appropriate.

Like everything else in HQ, the rule is : "the story comes first, rules second". Adding abilities in the middle of play is fine - if its supported by (or supports) the story. I've been staying out of the wounding debate (because I don't think it's really all that necessary). I would have no problem if a player decided *on his own* that a 20AP hit left some sort of mark or scar or even "took off me hand, it did" and asked for a special ability to reflect that. Or, for a less combative example, that a 20AP hit during wooing left him weepy and disconsolate enough to take an ability like "Easily Moved to Tears" or some such.

> In the case of the SW story, however, what I see happening instead, is the
> player using the flaw and the building rules to build a cybernetic hand
> Ability (after which the old Ability is eliminated). This, then, is what
> Luke uses to help himself resist the dark side when he cuts off his
father's
> cybernetic hand.

I wouldn't even bother with "Cybernetic hand" as an ability - the thing works in all ways like a normal hand during the film. If it short-circuited in the rain, or was much stronger than a normal hand, or was in any way different than a normal hand, I might go for it, but the hospital basically did a "Regrow Limb" on him. The scene with Darth is more a roleplaying/storytelling thing than a rules one, though I could see using "Relationship: Father" as the augment to "Lightsaber" here.

Mechanically, I'd say that in the scene where Luke lops off Darth's hand, he rolls well and defeats Darth by a goodly margin. The Emperor takes a personal hand (he's been involved in the battle from the beginning, mostly by encouraging Luke to use the Dark side, remember. This has been a 2-1 battle from the beginning). When the Emperor fries Luke with lightning bolts, Luke uses an Unrelated Action to do a Parting Shot on Darth using "Relationship: Father", and succeeds ("Father, help me, please"), and Darth's heart grew three sizes that day (apologies to Dr. Suess). As his Final Action, Darth pitches the Emperor over the railing (why the heck does the emperor have a throne room right above the core, anyway? Stupid design...)

Darth didn't spend his final action on getting back into the fight, so he doesn't get back to positive AP, and thus his physical defeat stands - in fact, he's been taken to complete defeat by that Parting Shot, so his death is well within the rules (and is pretty much narratively pre-destined, anyway).

RR
- Richelieu