Keyword: Servant (just for something different)

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:01:20 -0000

Although the discussion about alternate 'wounding' and building mechanisms is interesting and important, I though maybe something a little lighter could break up the list of headers now and then.

There are a lot of servants needed to keep things running in the posher parts of Glorantha. They may not often be heros, but they may show up as followers occasionally. As NPCs normally you'd just give the skills they need, but might once in a while want a key word. So for my own amusement, I wrote up a trial key word for servants. I'll uploaded it to the file section for anyone who wants to see it properly formatted, but I've cludged it in below too.

Servant
In civilized lands, servants are very common. Some hold hereditary posts, some are hired as needed, and some work freelance, living from job to job. This keyword can also be used for non-servants who do similar work, such as staff at an inn or porters for a caravan.

Beginning Hero Suggestions: Many servants get dragged into adventure in service to their masters. Others have been let go without references, and are unable to find work in their old area Still others dream of better things, either making their own fortune or finding a better position elsewhere, or even of serving heros!. In cities and other civilized areas servants can go almost anywhere without being noticed, and are privy to much gossip that never makes it to other strata of society.

Appropriate Homelands: Dara Happa, Esrolia, Esvular, Heortland (cities only), Seshnela, Tarsh.

Abilities: Be unnoticed, clean, do unpleasant chores, ignore hunger, know gossip, memorize, recognize social status, sense mood. Also choose one of the following:
  Bearer: carry heavy object, strong, tend horses, and one of

     cudgel combat, staff combat or brawling.   Body servant: arrange hair, dress master, repair clothes, know

     current fashions, know master's whims, tend illness.   House staff: appraise value, know master's possessions, know

     master's contacts, organize, stand still for hours.   Kitchen staff: artistic presentation, chop and cut, cooking or

     baking, know foodstuffs, know cultural recipes.

Typical Personality Traits: Ambitious, devoted, obedient, practical, proud, resentful, resigned, tireless.

Typical Relationships: to master or to family, to comrades, to other local servants (if any).

Typical Followers: Usually none. Senior servants may have servants of their own, and those who have left service may be accompanied by an old comrade.

Standard of living: minimal. In wealthy homes body servants and senior kitchen and house staff may have a common or even better standard of living.

Typical Equipment: clothes, simple tools (expensive tools will belong to the master), a letter of reference from a previous employer.

Magic: Servants typically belong to common religions, and few have a specialized magic key word, as they don't have the time and resources to devote to earning and keeping that status. There will be some exceptions, typically focused on household or cooking gods. In Seshnela or Esvular, some servants may serve as common liturgists for their comrades.

--Bryan