RE: Augment Returns

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:14:53 -0600

>From: "Nicolas Hughes" <nicolas.hughes_at_...>

> >So, have I made any errors in my analysis?
>
>Looks sound. Far more effort than most of us could be bothered with but
>sound :)

Funny, but I was working off of the wrong chart. The new one *is* parallel already. So what my idea would do is to simply make all successes x1, and all failures x1. Just drop the halfs. This means that you'll never have the boring effect of getting an augment that looks like the auto augment.

There are other tweaks that you could do, but I'm not sure if they'd be worth losing the simplicity. The first thing that occurs to me is allow for double effects on a really good roll. But that might lead to some crocks that I haven't thought of yet. The others would involve slanting things towards the positive side in order to make the expected values come above zero. I think that the old HW chart may have been like this.

Does anyone know why the design decision was made to change that chart? Was it for added simplicity, or did it also address some problem with the expected value bing too high somehow with the original chart?

> >Does it seem like a sensible
> >tweak to accomplish my goals? Should I go further, and try to get the
>payoff
> >closer to the auto augment? Any other methods that would suffice?
>
>I would narrate that anything worth rolling for is also worth allowing
>automatic
>augments. Including rolled augments. So in practice a rolled augment would
>be
>utilising a higher effective ability rating than the automatic augment.
>This
>might tweak the payback enough to achieve your goals without changing the
>rules.

Excellent point. The question is does the required search and handling effort on the player's part (finding the augments to the augment, and doing that math), is that compensated for enough by the benefits. Might. One could do both, too. Hmmm.

Another problem is that if I augment my Strength with my Size in order to get a big augment to the original combat roll, can I then use the Size again in the original contest? Or has it already been accounted for? If so, then I'd prefer to just use it in the original contest, because the return is much higher. It seems to me that anything that's applicable to augment the augmentor ability is also eligible as an augmentor itself.

Mike

Enjoy a special introductory offer for dial-up Internet access � limited time only! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup