Re: Digest Number 1418

From: argrathi <argrathi_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:33:22 -0000

> >The new examples in HB are
> >infomative. I learnt some new stuff (I can concentrate a theist as
> >an initiate and improvise feats at -5 woohoo).
>
> HQ.118.

Yes but the Hero's Book is better laid out or something (as a player's book should be)

> >The feats,
> >affinities, common magic, concentration rules are very confusing
but
> >i'm finally getting a grasp.
>
> Yeah, it's probably the most complicated part of the game, but
given
> the nature of Glorantha, it's hard to complain that magic is the
most
> detailed area... To reduce my own confusion when I was reading it,
> created a summary
> <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/hqMagicSummary.html>.

They shouldn't have bothered with concentration at all if it makes it really complicated. What's so difficult about saying:

1)Both initiates and devotees can use their affinities to augment

2)Both initiates and devotees can improvise feats and these can be used actively but with a modifier.

3)Only devotees can learn individual feats so completely they don't need to improvise and these feats can be used actively.

But no, we have to describe it ambiguously and throw some salt in with concentration.

> >If I kill a heortling raider and rob his common magic charms do
they
> >work for me?.
>
> Perhaps, but definitely not past the end of the session. And I
think
> you'd have to come up with a really good justification why they
would
> work for you -- a charm "can be used by any member of the
tradition
> or practice" [HQ.137].

But Heortling common religion and culture would be the tradition wouldn't it?. This isn't animism but Heortling hedge witchery.

> >Do I have to go to temple to recharge my common magic spell
talismans?

> Common magic doesn't originate from the god world, so a temple
could
> not help. (Besides the fact that theist temples don't have
anything
> to do with spells...)

So common magic spells don't need a priest to reset their talismans?

> >Do you get common magic blessings and curses?
>
> Aren't most of them blessings (Protect From Broo) or curses (e.g.
> Attack Enemy Spirit) already?

I meant western style blessings and curses as opposed to spells.