Rules FAQ question discussion

From: Michael Bowman <bowman_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:57:28 -0800

The Rules FAQ question I asked about does bring up an interesting point.

I've run a couple of Heortling-based games and have found that everyone has gone the magic-oriented route, rather than a mundane ability-oriented (augmented by +2 from unimproved affinities). Extending the multiple point costs amounts to character creation, however, would encourage people to concentrate more on their mundane abilities. They can't just devote, pump two affinities up by 5 points each and rely on their magic more than on mundane abilities.

On the other hand, it does, in general, lower the starting level of characters by making things more expensive initially. In this case, I may raise the starting point total to something like 30 points to make up for that.

Michael